"Edson’s vivid portrayal of the urban area, as well as the working class and underclass, creates a vision of Saint John that highlights the discrepancy between the pre-modern idyllic notion of life in Atlantic Canada and the more complicated reality of the region."


-The New Brunswick Literary Encyclopedia

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Chuck Palahniuk's FIGHT CLUB



"Have you ever read Fight Club?" my brother-in-law asks.
"No," I say. "But I've got it on my shelf."

The Chuck Palahniuk novel had been sitting on my bookshelf for ten years; one of many books I'd stockpiled for another day. Once I was asked if I'd ever read it, I was interested again.

I just finished it, and wow, what a great book--a quick and easy read that keeps you glued. I'd like to go on about the differences between the book and the movie, or about Palahniuk's flowing, straightforward style, but I won't. After all, the first rule about fight club is you don't talk about fight club.

Read it.


No comments: