"Edson’s vivid portrayal of the urban area, as well as the working class and underclass, creates a vision of Saint John that highlights the discrepancy between the pre-modern idyllic notion of life in Atlantic Canada and the more complicated reality of the region."


-The New Brunswick Literary Encyclopedia

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Work, work, work...

I've not been blogging much at all over the past few months, which means that I'm writing well. I've just finished another edit of The Moon is Real, with the whole summer ahead. I'm also slugging through a first draft of Dogs in Heat and should hopefully have it ready to shop around by summer/fall 2016. With The Goon, published four years ago, it would be nice to bring out two books in two years. But given the time I take to rewrite, that might be a bit too optimistic. Either way, I'm working well and am happy with my growth these past few years. Hemingway once said something about writing; that it gets difficult when you really learn how to do it. I think what he meant is the rewriting process. I find myself more picky with my work, and that's a good thing. I'm constantly tinkering, reworking, then tinkering again. The end product is the goal, and once it's published there's no changing things. To that end, I try to polish everything down to the last details, shedding as much fat as I can from the story.


 

No comments: