"Edson’s vivid portrayal of the urban area, as well as the working class and underclass, creates a vision of Saint John that highlights the discrepancy between the pre-modern idyllic notion of life in Atlantic Canada and the more complicated reality of the region."


-The New Brunswick Literary Encyclopedia

Friday, February 10, 2012

THE CORRECTIONS by Jonathan Franzen


While I was reading Freedom a friend of mine told me The Corrections was even better. So I put it on my list. Unfortunately, after reading it I don't hold the same view as my friend. At all. Where Freedom took you through the lives of three people -- from their childhoods to their senior years, The Corrections feels somewhat fragmented; it just doesn't seem to go anywhere. 568 pages and the story never quite gets off the ground -- certainly not in the way Freedom does. Now I'm never going to bash any writer's work in any quick review I give on my blog (and who the hell am I to criticize Jonathan Franzen?), but I will say that it was a disappointing read for me. Sure, there are moments of greatness, as Franzen showed from start to finish in Freedom, but if I'd read The Corrections first, I doubt I would have ever given Freedom a shot.

I did, however, pick up signed First Editions of each book, and of these two, The Corrections is my favorite...Ironically enough, the first run needed corrections -- it had a printing error -- pages 430 and 431 are in the wrong order. The publisher included an insert stating the error and I was lucky enough to find a copy with it, complete with Franzen's quick-to-do signature.

1 comment:

Clive Baugh said...

So that's why it's called The Corrections!